Hannoverscher Bahnhof

Today’s remembrances of the former Hannoverscher Bahnhof are imprinted by the twenty deportation transports that took place from 1940 to 1945. With them went 7692 Jews, Roma and Sinti from Hamburg and northern Germany, destined for the ghettos and extermination camps of eastern and central Europe – for most of them, a journey into death.

In 2004, the researchers Dr. Linde Apel and Dr. Frank Bajohr, both of the Hamburg Contemporary History Research Center, presented to the Office for Cultural Affairs the first comprehensive study of the topic: “The Deportations of Jews, Roma and Sinti from Hannoverscher Bahnhof in Hamburg from 1940 to 1945.”

In the spring of 2008, during negotiations to form a coalition, the governing parties included the development of a memorial at the former Hannoverscher Bahnhof as part of their final agreement.

The exhibition “Sent to Their Deaths,” developed by Dr. Linde Apel, opened at the Kunsthaus Hamburg in February 2009.