Hannoverscher Bahnhof as a Deportation Station
“One was ashamed to belong to the German people in whose name all of this was supposedly happening.” (Erwin Garvens, 1941)
From 1940 to 1945, the station was used for deportations: During that time, twenty railway transports departed from Hannoverscher Bahnhof. With them went at least 7692 Jews, Roma and Sinti from Hamburg and northern Germany, destined for the ghettos and concentration camps of central and eastern Europe – for most of them, a journey into death. Not only committed National Socialists in Hamburg, but a multitude of compliant individuals from various authorities, agencies and privately-owned companies were responsible for the smooth implementation of the deportations. For the most part, the “People’s Community,” profiting in many ways from the deportations, looked the other way.
Today, this site in the eastern part of the newly emerging HafenCity symbolizes the historical closeness between normality and barbarity like hardly any other in Hamburg.