The History of Hannoverscher Bahnhof
Lohseplatz. Hannoverscher Bahnhof, Geschichte, Stadtgeschichte
Hannoverscher Bahnhof, at first called Pariser and Venloer Bahnhof, saw various uses since opening in 1872: until 1907, it offered passenger and freight connections from Hamburg to the south. In 1906, the newly opened Hamburg Central Station took over passenger traffic. Afterwards, Hannoverscher Bahnhof functioned primarily as a freight station. It also offered reserve capacity.
From 1940 to 1945, the station was used for deportations: at least 7692 Jews, Roma and Sinti were deported from here to the ghettos and concentration camps.
Starting in July 1943, aerial bombing raids caused partial destruction of the buildings and railway facilities.
After World War II, a reconstruction of the reception hall was not considered worthwhile. In 1950, the station became the main freight station. Some structures were demolished in 1955 and 1981, with the surviving warehouses being used for freight purposes.
With the decision to develop HafenCity the former Hannoverscher Bahnhof and its forecourt, Lohseplatz, in HafenCity became increasingly visible in the public eye.